HOTEL BRESLIN & ALAMAC HOTEL AT MOUNT ARLINGTON, NJ
|The era of Lake Hopatcong as a summer resort
began in 1882 as the Jersey Central RR began passenger excursion trains
on their new line that reached the lake at Nolan's Point, on the east
shore, about a mile north of today's Mount Arlington. The Lackawanna RR
already had a line that went from Newark, thru Morristown,
Dover and up to Hackettstown, and had a simple siding "stop" at Landing, at the southern end
of the lake, and quickly added a station there to share in the tourist boom and
two major rail lines competed to serve the lake.
Arriving passengers from the cities found a quickly growing number of amusements & activities at Nolans Point to busy themselves. New pavilions there offered a variety of restaurants, photo parlors, beach bathing and boat rides, and that's where the story of Mount Arlington really begins!
When the boom started, there were just small hotels at the Lake. Soon, several others were quickly built, and they went up on every part of the lake shoreline. Because early roads at the Lake were few and of poor quality, the main way of transportation was by boat. New steamboat companies met arriving rail passengers at the trains, either at the Lakawanna station in Landing, or the Jersey Central RR in Nolan's Point, and took them to all parts of the Lake. One dock was located at Mount Arlington, and that's where some wealthy investors got the idea for a new luxury resort hotel that catered to well-heeled vacationers, in contrast to the masses who stayed at the day attractions at Nolan's Point. The resort that they built in 1887 was called the HOTEL BRESLIN.
Once the BRESLIN went up, it spurred more development. Some early visitors camped at the Lake on wooden platforms. Wealthy individuals were building Victorian "cottages" (that would be mansions to you & me) around the Breslin and a substantial millionaire's community sprang up in Mount Arlington.
|Around 1910 the Hotel was extensively
renovated and a new wing was added, and by 1913 ads like the one to the
left advertised 300 rooms.
Each room now had hot & cold running water, and electric power was available in most rooms.
Part of the upgrade was a shift in name, now the "New Hotel Breslin".
In 1918 the Hotel was sold to the Latz family
and they undertook more renovations, adding facilities for outdoor
recreation, aiming at a more middle-class clientele. As seen below, they
During WW2 the hotel was turned into lodging for the military. The hotel was under renovation when it caught fire in 1948 and was destroyed.
Click here to Return to main page
Updated December 2022. This page is a service
of MountArlington.org, a privately owned website.
A link to the "official" Mount Arlington NJ town website can be found above on this "Links" page.